to-mor-row we go bar-be-cue

Summer = BBQ.
BBQ = ausome, regardless of age. In fact, when you start grilling shit yourself, the process becomes even more ausomer exponentially.

Therefore, summer = ausome, regardless of age.

asupara bacon

Today, I will leave you with a recipe for something that’s very summery in a Japanese-y way: bacon wrapped asparagus! It is a Japanese pub staple, this skewered morsel of unctuous badass-ness.
Sure, you can walk into a yakitori joint and drop 3 bones for a skewer… OR you can buy a bunch of fresh asparagus and a pack of bacon for under 5 bones and then stuff your face with the porcine deliciousness that is bacon (and then later, deal with the folic acid funk that is asparagus pee).

You will need:
1 bunch asparagus (thicker ones would be easier to skewer)
1/2 pack of bacon
black pepper
a bunch of bamboo skewers
and little bit of patience

asupara bacon

Preheat your grill. Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 15 minutes, so that it won’t burn off in the grill.

asupara bacon

While you’re waiting for it to soak, cut up your asparagus into 1 1/2~2 inch chunks. Cut bacon slices into halves.

asupara bacon

Take two pieces of asparagus and half a slice of bacon. Wrap. Skewer carefully because bacon fat will melt in your hands and make you slimy.

asupara bacon

Nice collection! You can do this a day ahead if you’re planning to do a big BBQ shindig.

Turn on your favorite BBQ song. BLAST IT.

asupara bacon

Then get to work. Grill over medium heat, until bacon is crispy.

asupara bacon

DRAMATIC ENHANCE! (nosh with other carnage, grilled corm cobs, and beer)

{ 12 comments… add one }

• SinoSoul May 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm

So true, so gdamn true. Yaki houses are straight wallet rapists. Shishito skewer for $2? Chicken skin $3? WTFBBQ!#$!@

I’m so inspired right now, I’m gonna go make my own shichimi togarashi this weekend to go with my badass Sichuan garlic chili own. Honda Ya can lick my skewers.

• Wandering Chopsticks May 7, 2011 at 12:44 am

When I do this, I just wrap a whole piece of bacon around each asparagus stem, but this is so much cooler. I totally didn’t think of how Japanese yakitori places do it. Next time for sure!

• EvilSB May 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

i just ran across your blog this morning, and have been reading it all day. i heart i nom things. thank you for the recipes, the humor, the adorable drawings, everything. you totally rock. :)

-esb

• Noel May 8, 2011 at 10:08 am

Found you through tastespotting. This looks delicious!

• Pritha May 8, 2011 at 7:16 pm

OMG. My life is worth living now. Thank you. I’ll be making this until I die. Question: Would SinoSoul or you or anyone you all know PLEASE throw down an actionable shichimi togarashi made with stuff I can buy in NYC. Please? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease? Thanks :)

Then, could you break down some other easy-ish BBQ noms?

Aaaaaaaaaand, maybe a few cute bbqnom ‘toons? (Have I asked for too much? Eff it. I’m living big. :P)

• Melissa Loh May 9, 2011 at 3:48 am

Gaaaaaaaaaar… *Homer Simpson gurgle*

Just looking at those photos take me back to sipping cold beers and wolfing down stick after stick of yakitori, including those delicious bacon wrapped asparagus. I can’t wait for them to come into season now. Thanks for sharing!

• christoofat May 9, 2011 at 7:13 am

This looks totally like what I need to make this VERY WEEK! Right after I select a fave BBQ song!!!

• muzras May 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This ish is Mike BOSS! lookz soooooo good. ^_^

lol on teh 1st commentz yakitori placez r rapistz. true dat true dat. >:(

• Gastronomer May 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

We finally got a barbecue and have been grilling up for the past couple of weeks! This dish is definitely going into the rotation. Woot woot!

• ila May 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm

tony, so true. lots of mediocre yakitori houses just ripping you off. i mean, i know there’s labor costs involved too, but still…

w.c., i used to do the whole ones too, but they fall apart on the grills :(

evilSB, thank you for visiting! that means so much <3

noel, thank you!

pritha, thank you for visiting! more good things to come this summer, erm, barbecue season :)

melissa, thank you for visiting, and you’re welcome!

christoofat, it all starts from a BBQ song.

muzras, haha. so true.

cathy, YESH! you’ve now joined the cool grownups group. wooooot!

• Betsy May 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

This is such a good idea! I’m totally going to try it!. We’re hosting an online seasonal potluck and May is asparagus month. If you’d like to link your recipe, we’d love to have you! http://bit.ly/eLlgG2

• ila May 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Betsy, thanks for commenting! And thank you for the offer.